Archive for October 2011
The West Coast Werewolf
The BEST of the Oh, My, God Food Moments
If you have been following my reviews you know that I have been gorging on delicious food in my search to find the best Werewolf eats on the West Coast – of Los Angeles really.
I have been covering food trucks, diners, bakeries, and food trucks and after a month on the food trail there have only been a few Oh My God moments. Followed by some very close highlights.
I have decided to share where I am at starting with a tie for the two items that had me saying those three words again and again.
The Patty Wagon - Burger, the straight up BEEF
The Cheeseball Wagon – Hot Ham and Cheese Slider
I am not ashamed to say that I am a werewolf and I would hunt these trucks through the streets of Los Angeles shifted and in danger of exposing the entire supernatural community to get my teeth into these two items.
Auntie Em’s Kitchen – Cupcakes
They battled others who specialized in this area and arose victorious while still making kicking food!
CoolHaus – Ice Cream and Ice Cream Sandwiches
Fresh made Ice Cream that drives around offering 10 flavors of creamy goodness and 5 cookie options. It is too much awesomeness really. PS. Can be found in Some Grocery Stores near YOU!
SO FIND THESE GUYS FOR YOURSELF!
Sophia On Ghosts
Is there something wrong with being a ghost and liking to watch ghost movies. Obviously some are better than others.
Best Ghost Movies:
1. Ghost: A classic and the movie Whoopie Goldburg won her Academy Award for. It is a timeless Hollywood tearjerker that easily gets under one’s skin. I have a soft spot for this one for sure!
2. Poltergeist: What a combo! Tobe Hooper, the director of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, teamed up with family-oriented producer Steven Spielberg to make Poltergeist. The film is about a haunted suburban tract home in a development very much like the Arizona one in which Spielberg was raised. It even came out the same summer as Spielberg’s E.T! Though as frightening as Hooper’s A Nightmare on Elm Street, Poltergeist is one of the smartest and most entertaining horror pictures. I watch it with the lights on…seriously.
3. Thirteen Ghosts : Cool sets, gory make-up, in a haunted-house chiller. And it has the actor from Monk! 13 Ghosts grows is loud and sometimes silly, getting yucky. It’s just fun, I cover my eyes periodically till some of the movie is over after which I’m just exhausted.
4. Ghostbusters: Bill Murray gets all the best lines and moments in this one. Who you gonna call? Well actually I would prefer you didn’t call anyone.
Worst Ghost Pictures:
1. Goosebumps–Headless Ghost: The first episode is entitled “The Headless Ghost”. Duane and Stephanie are frequent visitors to Hill House; an old mansion that is rumored to be haunted. During a visit they stumble across the ghost of a young boy who lost his head. Now, he’s come for one of theirs! Zombies wanting brains would be more interesting. Yawn.
2. Ghost World: It has ghost in the title, but there are no ghosts. Don’t be fooled.
3. Ghost Ship: Scary abandoned ship. Totally gross and an interesting take on not being greedy.
4. The Haunting: Be careful of giant fire places, you might loose your head. Houses that come alive to trap you are just dumb.
I did not even find it funny and I like Owen Wilson. I would have been out the door right away, or maybe through a wall.
Each week I try to suggest a tip that might make your studying easier.
I always suggest that students take some time at the end of each week to review what was covered in each subject.
Pick an evening – I suggest Sunday – clear your desk and work on your review.
Have a look at what was covered in each subject. Go through your notes and make study cards if that is something that works for you.
Make sure that assignments are on a calendar or in your daytimer. Try to organize your studying as various deadline approach. Should cut down on last minute cramming!
That’s my pearl of wisdom for this week! Come back next week for more helpful hints.
Welcome to The Sanction Chronicles!
And welcome to the Spooktacular Giveaway Hop! We are taking part in the massive giveaway hop that is sponsored by I Am A Reader, Not A Writer and The Diary of a Bookworm. There are well over 400 sites participating in this hop, so limber up your typing fingers and get ready to win some bookish prizes!
Today we are giving away two copies of our book – Welcome to Sanction Year One Volume One. The Sanction Chronicles is a serial YA paranormal novel with one book being released each month for the next three years.
We are offering 2 copies of the first book – September’s book.
Once you fill out the form, start on the list of blogs and enter as many giveaways as you can in the next week! Good luck!
Well what? They are making both. Are they trying to confuse us.
Grimm: Once Upon a Crime
Once Upon a Time?
“Grimm” is a new drama series inspired by the classic Grimm’s Fairy Tales.Portland homicide Detective Nick Burkhardt (David Giuntoli, “Turn The Beat Around”) discovers he is descended from an elite line of criminal profilers known as “Grimms,” charged with keeping balance between humanity and the mythological creatures of the world. – Taken from http://www.nbc.com/grimm/about/
Plus: Dark and Scary looking.
Minus: Can’t think of one yet…
Once Upon a Time: Centers on a woman with a troubled past who is drawn into a small town in Maine where the magic and mystery of Fairy Tales just may be real. – Taken from IMDB
Plus: Margine from Big Love and the chick from House.
Minus: It may just be too fantasy for mainstream.
We will just have to watch and see…
Cup Cake Wars
Round One – Judged by the West Coast Werewolf
- Mini and Large size, the cake is moist, the frosting a great sweet balance and 5 flavors. A nice selection and they still have other options in their bakery.
Runner Up: Yummy Cupcakes
- Highlight – Selection – Maybe too many, makes one wonder if they made the right choice
2nd Runner Up: Buttercelli Organic Bakeshop
- Highlight – All Organic and they have more than just cupcakes – Also they have a happy hour from 5-6 with discounted prices.
- Downside – Super sweet. The items were on the extra sweet side and they are limited in selection.
Last: Sugar Babies Cupcakery
- Read the Full Review Here
- Basically not worth the trip or the cash
Read All of the Reviews Coming U
and Auntie Em’s Tomorrow!
Sugar Babies Cupcakery
It may not be manwolf-y or wolfman-y, but I love cupcakes. They are small cakes, tightly packed with delicious goodness, or they should be…
With that in mind I set out to taste some cupcakes, even if the only size option is mini at places like Sugar Babies Cupcakery. Unfortunately good things coming in small packages did not apply here. The package is small, the baking lazy, and expensive too.
So how does one be a lazy cupcake baker? I was told to come in on a Sat when they had all of their flavors, yum right? A tasty selection right? Nope. My first question was which cupcakes had a different cake. There are a lot of types of cake out there. At which point I was told they only bake two, TWO kinds of cake. Chocolate and Vanilla. There are not different cupcakes there are different frostings!
They have eliminated one of the key components in enhancing flavor and making the experience limited when you try different ones. Lazy. Maybe if the cake had been the most amazing cake ever I would have let it go. No. They were dry, they had little flavor, and though some of the frostings were good they all lacked fillings besides two.
To be fair I went to another cupcake place before writing this review. They are a place that serves food as well as baked goods. They make five, FIVE different cake flavors, Their review is coming next Wednesday.
I may be a werewolf and once a month I do burn a lot of calories, but in between I have been starting to watch my calories a bit. Reviewing food is hard on the waist line. So of the 6 mini cupcakes purchased I did not finish 1. Buy a mix and make your own.
All My Heart - Rich chocolate cake, chocolate buttercream frosting, milk chocolate candy heart.
Grade: D – no Heart on top
Mint Chocolate Chip - Not listed on the menu – Chocolate Cake Frosting made with fresh mint.
The PBJ - Vanilla cake, rich grape preserves filling, sinful peanut butter cream cheese frosting.
Red Rose – Classic red velvet cake, sumptuous cream cheese frosting.
Grade: F – EXACTLY the Chocolate Cake recipe dyed red.
Breakfast at Tiffany’s - Moist vanilla cake, sweet vanilla buttercream frosting, candied pearls.
Grade: D – Boring
It is not worth going into great detail when the final statement is – There are better, cheaper cupcakes all over. The grocery store comes to mind for better cake though Sugar Babies Cupcakery does have better frosting.
No Go for the Babies
Storefront: 4810 Fulton Avenue, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423
The Banned Books Giveaway Hop is over for another year. I hope that fun was had by all. I can imagine entering over 300 giveaways!
Many thanks go out to everyone who entered! The people who caught the extra points on the Facebook clue – bravo! I wish I could give away a book to everyone who entered, but sadly we are only giving away 2 copies.
The winners are:
Audrey of The Book Analyst and
Lista Peters of Book Him Danno
Your books should be coming by e-mail very shortly!